Marine Biological Laboratory
JOB LINK: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=488e94be22790934&from=cobra&tk=1cos7skvr19kq001&iaal=1
The Marine Biological Laboratory is seeking a Campus Security Officer to join our Security Team. This is a great opportunity to work within the seaside community of Woods Hole at an organization dedicated to scientific discovery. Located in the picturesque village of Woods Hole on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, the MBL is literally steps from the Atlantic Ocean. Living on Cape Cod offers many great benefits including miles of beaches, boating, fishing, biking on the Shining Sea Bikeway, restaurants, shopping and museums.
Position Summary: Promotes and maintains safety and security while performing related functions while involved in the safeguard and protection of students, faculty, employees, visitors and property. This is an Essential Personnel Category 1 position for emergency response. Expected to be available to prepare for storms, provide facility protection during storms, and participate / take first steps toward restoring normal operations after storms.
This is a bargaining unit position covered by the United Healthcare Workers East, SEIU 1199.
1. Patrol and monitor buildings and grounds, on foot, bicycles and/or motorized conveyance, to provide incident prevention and detect signs of criminal or suspicious activity.
2. Conducts all mechanical and “punch” rounds per shift.
3. Assists CSOII with incidents
4. Communicate effectively and respectfully with members of the MBL campus community, students and faculty.
5. Responds promptly to emergency situations, provide first aid if needed, and alert additional police or emergency personnel as appropriate.
6. Maintain radio communication with other security officers and the desk supervisor on campus, helping to coordinate emergency plans.
7. Investigate disturbances, criminal activity and properly document such incidents in accordance with applicable policies and procedures, including but not limited to: disorderly behavior, directing vehicle traffic, emergency medical assistance, protective escorts, assault (physical or sexual), trespassing, parking violations, alcohol incidents, suspicious circumstances, unlock/lock doors, alarms both fire and related to physical plant such as heat, electricity, etc..
8. Maintains logs and writes incident reports as appropriate. Completes all incident reports in timely manner, writes in a clear and legible style and submits all incident reports and accompanying paperwork required as defined by the Campus Security Manager to the Desk Supervisor.
9. De-escalate difficult situations by remaining calm, being empathetic and maintaining impulse control. Requests emergency services assistance and provides support when necessary.
10. Operate detection and electronic monitoring devices to screen areas (such as parking lots, equipment operations) and to properly prevent incidents in those areas or upon personnel.
11. Ensure compliance with MBL Campus Security polices to protect MBL property, interests and persons on MBL premises.
12. Utilize MBL Alert/Everbridge system for notifications to MBL personnel of circumstances natural, criminal and/or informational in nature.
13. Must be able to train and certify (via Certification Board) on required equipment and procedures to include defensive tactics and handcuffing within the four (4) month probationary time frame.
14. After an observation period of up to six months, the CSO I will be considered for training with Less Than Lethal (LTL) equipment and a promotion to the CSO II position upon successful completion of the LTL training and passing of the Certification board.
Comprehension and accurate application of policies and laws.
Written communication skills which support the ability to submit accurate documentation and effectively communicate.
Demonstrate acceptable ability to use relevant equipment including computers, two-way radios, first aid equipment/kits, motorized conveyance and access control equipment.
Customer focus, teamwork, creative problem solving, continuous learning, maintain and calm and professional demeanor during emergency and non-emergency situations involving individuals and groups.
Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License with favorable driving record and/or be able to obtain a Massachusetts Driver’s license within 60 days of hire date.
Pass all pre-employment screening including but not limited to CORI and drug testing.
Continued employment is contingent upon successful attainment and ability to perform duties associated with job related certifications (CPR, First Aid, etc) and must be able to complete required training and be certified in non-lethal equipment for the Campus Security department, which will involve physical training and the experiencing of the effects of said authorized issued equipment.
Must have some security, law enforcement or military experience or education.
Physical effort requires walking, stooping and bending, running, standing, climb or descend multiple flights of stairs;
perform CPR; deescalating aggressive behavior, dealing with intoxicated people, etc.; occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up to 40 pounds);
Occasionally assist in restraining, handling or lifting individuals; discomfort from exposure to less than optimal temperatures and air conditions, including outdoor activities such as bike patrol; may deal with unpleasant situations, involving fights, weapons, and hazardous materials;
Lift and carry hand-held fire extinguisher and use if necessary; lift and carry assorted job related items including but not limited to baton, O/C spray, handcuffs, pylons, chains, traffic control signs; occasional exposure to dust and fumes.
Ability to work outside throughout the duration of assigned shift if needed.
WORKING AT THE MBL :
Working in the MBL Security Department is like joining a family, and a career with us is more than a job. We provide a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally.
The Campus Security Officer (CSO I) position is a union Grade 6. We have a promotional position that encompasses qualifying and certifying on Less than Lethal baton and OC equipment usually within 6-10 months on duty. This will lead to promoting the successful candidate as a CSO II with increases to union Grade 7. We also have one of the best benefits programs around and wonderful retirement plan.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.17 /hour
High school or equivalent (Required)
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.