University of Illinois -
JOB LINK: https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board/job-details?jobID=100374&job=police-officer-division-of-public-safety-100374
Division of Public Safety
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois Police Department is looking for people who want to serve their community and help to keep our campus and surrounding area safe.
As a police officer at one of the nation’s preeminent public universities, you will be working in a vibrant, micro-urban community with a great variety of culture, recreation, and entertainment opportunities — suitable both for families and young professionals.
UIPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward law enforcement. The department supports its officers and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on campus. UIPD is committed to the administration of law and order based on the constitutional idea of justice where every person will be treated with dignity and fairness.
1. Patrol a designated area of the University community in a police car, or on foot, or other means of transportation (i.e. bicycle) to preserve law and order by enforcing federal and state laws, local ordinances, and University rules and regulations through identification, apprehension and prosecution of violators.
2. Patrol a designated area of the University community to conduct security inspections of University buildings and property in a police car, or on foot, or other means of transportation (i.e. bicycle) to prevent the commission of crime.
3. Control and assist the movement of vehicle and pedestrian traffic by physically directing traffic.
4. Assist other local law enforcement agencies.
5. Respond to requests for non-enforcement service assistance to the University community. Interview persons with non-enforcement type inquiries and complaints and make the proper disposition including directing them to the proper authorities. The community service portion of the police mission is multi-dimensional and includes such duties as providing general community information, assisting motorists with vehicle problems, securing found property, providing authorized persons entry to facilities, delivering messages, controlling loose live stock, and assisting in the investigation of on-the-job injuries.
6. Identify, investigate, and report hazards which might endanger the public safety and/or University plant or equipment.
7. Act as a campus security authority, as defined by the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, to include completing training and the timely reporting to the University of Illinois Police allegations of Clery Act crimes.
8. Act as a responsible employee under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which includes the timely reporting of incidents of sexual harassment/misconduct to the University of Illinois’ Title IX coordinator.
Applicants must be 21 years of age upon employment, have a high school diploma or GED, have no felony convictions, and have a valid Driver’s License.
For more information about this classification:
This Police Officer position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is to be determined (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $27.87 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Police Officer. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Please note that exam scores for the Police Officer exam cannot be transferred to the Urbana/Champaign campus from another university.
Once you have been qualified for the exam, you will be contacted by e-mail to arrange an exam date for the first portion of the exam, the physical fitness test. Please be sure to check your e-mail. Exam dates for this posting CANNOT be rescheduled.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Division of Public Safety
Police Officer – Division of Public Safety (100374)
Division of Public Safety
To apply for this job please visit jobs.illinois.edu.