University of Houston-Clear Lake
JOB LINK https://uhs.taleo.net/careersection/ex4_uhcl/jobdetail.ftl?job=STA005391&tz=GMT-05:00&tzname=America/Chicago&src=BDT-200044
The Executive Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police provides management, leadership, and oversight for all aspects of public safety at UHCL to include police management and operations, emergency management and environmental health and safety.
Develops and implements goals, objectives, strategies, policies and procedures for the Public Safety unit, comprised of the Police Department, Office of Emergency Management and Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Office.
Applies the units’ fiscal, equipment and human resources to support activities and provide services that enhance campus safety/security. Commands and controls law enforcement operations for major investigations, emergency management situations, and large university special events. Organizes, directs and control personnel and resources of the unit to include holding subordinate supervisor positions accountable for the effective and efficient conduct of members of under their supervision and control.
Applies advanced and innovative concepts and best practices in campus law enforcement, emergency management, and EH&S to achieve unit objectives and continuously improve performance.
Serves as primary liaison to local, state and federal law enforcement, EH&S and related support services. Incorporates new developments as appropriate.
Serves as Campus Security Survey Administrator as mandated by Federal Law and produces the federally mandated campus security survey. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent combination of education and experience, including US military experience with honorable discharge. Training and/or knowledge may be substituted.
2. Minimum twelve years of increasingly responsible broad based experience as a licensed police officer with a recognized law enforcement agency including five years of management and command-level responsibilities.
3. Must have substantial experience in campus law enforcement, with command supervision, budget and operational responsibility for safety and security.
4. A Texas Peace Officer License issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement or equivalent from another state with the ability to obtain a TCOLE license within one year.
5. Possession of an Advanced Peace Officer Proficiency Certificate issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) or an equivalent proficiency certificate issued by an equivalent licensing entity in another state.
6. Possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License, or obtain Texas Driver’s License by the time of appointment.
7. Ability to make complex, administrative, operational decisions, and develop policy.
8. Ability to educate, persuade and work collaboratively within a culturally diverse setting. Public speaking skills.
9. Demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills.
10. Ability to effect organizational change and improvement.
11. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, co-workers and the public.
Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
Graduate of the Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas (LEMIT) or the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy (FBI-NA) or equivalent executive training.
Experience in the areas of event management, homeland security, risk management, emergency management, dignitary protection and building security.
Experience working with law enforcement accreditation or recognition programs in Higher Education.
National Incident Management System (NIMS) training certification.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume
Notes to Applicant: Full-time position with benefits. Background checks required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.
To apply for this job please visit uhs.taleo.net.