Stephen F. Austin University -
JOB LINK: https://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3590
This is a managerial position responsible for assisting in directing public safety efforts across campus, including the university police, emergency management, and parking and traffic. Primarily responsible for supervisory oversight of the university police and performing administrative duties including budget preparation, implementation, and review, and departmental policy and procedure review. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the chief of police.
Essential Job Functions
1. Supervises the university police, including overseeing daily operations and the scheduling, training, and development of sworn officers and staff.
2. Assists with the supervision of the emergency management and parking and traffic units within the Department of Public Safety.
3. Informs chief of police of the current status of supervised areas.
4. Assists chief of police with public safety budget preparation. Oversees budget implementation and conducts budgetary reviews for areas supervised.
5. Responds to complaints and inquiries from the general public.
6. Reviews current department policies and procedures; proposes and implements changes as needed.
7. Reviews accident and offense reports to verify their accuracy and validity.
8. Supervises security measures at public events to ensure safety.
9. Works nights, weekends and on call after hours, as required.
10. Serves as acting chief of police in his/her absence.
Non-Essential Job Functions
1. Receives and/or supervises the receipt of payments from students and others for departmentally sponsored activities.
2. Addresses student groups, as requested.
3. Discharges the responsibilities and obligations of a Texas peace officer.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, university and departmental policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, professional standards and law enforcement procedures.
3. Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and strategies to promote safety and effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
4. Skill in the operation of, and the ability to operate, weapons used in law enforcement.
5. Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students, prosecutors, law enforcement agencies, and the general public.
6. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
7. Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
8. Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
9. Ability to diffuse and respond effectively to situations involving intense pressures and/or unpredictable persons.
10. Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
11. Ability to enforce security rules and regulations.
12. Ability to use force when necessary to fulfill job duties.
13. Ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license, SFA permit, and van certification prior to employment.
14. Ability to be on-call and work evenings, nights, and weekends, as required.
15. Physical condition adequate to permit full performance of duties.
Physical Demands Required Education
Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, public administration, or a related field is required.
Required Experience and Training
Seven years of progressively responsible experience in public safety is required. Experience in the law enforcement field is required. Supervisory experience is required. Must have, or be eligible to obtain, a Texas Peace Officer License and Advanced Certification from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). If not possessed, the required license(s) and certification must be obtained no later than six months following the date of the appointment.
Master’s degree is preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check.
This is a safety-sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate Mid Pay Rate Salary Information Commensurate with Experience Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting Is Background Check Required? Yes Benefit and Retirement Eligibility
This position is eligible for participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2018-233
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to all qualified applicants
Number of Positions Available 1
Posted Date 09/07/2018
Review Start Date
Close Date 09/28/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3543
Contact Name Heather Howell
Contact Phone 936 468 2701
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
What is the highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma
Which of the following best represents the number of years experience you possess relating directly to the job to which you are applying?
Less than one
One to two
Three to four
Five to six
Seven to eight
Nine or more
Do you currently have, or will you have by time of employment, TCOLE certification?
Do you have supervisory experience?
Do you have experience in the law enforcement field?
Documents Needed To Apply
List of References
To apply for this job please visit careers.sfasu.edu.