Nova Southeastern University
JOB LINK: https://www.nsujobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1553074474713
Ratings and Reviews
Directs and oversees NSU Public Safety Department as the principal campus safety and security official, providing strategic guidance and planning to promote a safe campus environment. Plans, directs, and evaluates all aspects of the integrated police, security, and emergency management operations and ensures the enforcement of local, state, and federal laws and University policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Develops and implements strategic and systemic standards, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for maintaining the safety and security of the University, including the main residential campus, preK-12 school, and regional campuses.
2. Ensures that Public Safety staff works collaboratively with all departments and campus constituent groups, especially Residence Life to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of NSU community, while holding them accountable for adhering to the University rules and regulations.
3. Establishes and maintains close working relationships with University community, especially, those responsible for student and employee identification cards, fire safety, key control, hazardous waste, financial and insurance risk, and other areas of potential security vulnerability.
4. Oversees investigations by interviewing complainants, involved parties, reviewing reports; analyzing closed circuit television (CCTV) video footage, etc.
5. Manages campus parking and traffic control systems; oversees revenue produced from parking permits and parking violations.
6. Manages ingress, egress, and on-campus traffic and university parking facilities; oversees outstanding citations and input of holds on student accounts.
7. Represents NSU to outside law enforcement and safety related local and federal agencies, including but not limited to ensuring that Davie Police Officers responding to NSU’s campus have adequate information and training on NSU policies and procedures.
8. Plans, directs, supervises, and coordinates work activities of subordinates and staff, including hiring, coaching, evaluating, and terminating.
9. Acts as a liaison with local outside law enforcement agencies.
10. Oversees locksmith’s section and assures optimal customer service to internal and external constituents’ requests.
11. Supervises and oversees the Operations Control Room assuring access to local authorities.
12. Designs security policies, programs, or practices to ensure adequate security related to issues such as protection of assets, alarm response, and access card use.
13. Through collaboration with campus partners such as Residential Life, Title IX, and Student Affairs to ensure that Public Safety employees are equipped to respond effectively to individuals experiencing crises and/or trauma.
14. Ensures the development and delivery of comprehensive safety education for campus constituents, Residential Life staff and others.
15. Works proactively and cooperatively with students and with other internal and external constituents, using a community-policing framework.
16. Supports the mission of the university by contributing to the programs and services offered by Student Affairs and the Title IX staff.
17. Ensures compliance with university policies and procedures; county, state, and federal regulations.
18. Identifies trends in campus incidents and develops appropriate preventive measures.
19. Ensures incident and other departmental reports are accurate and appropriately detailed.
20. Maintains and submits records and reports required by state and federal agencies, including Annual Security Report, as required by the Clery Act.
21. Oversees Public Safety operating budget and ensures that section stays within allocated resources.
22. Attends meetings, professional seminars, or conferences to keep abreast of changes in executive legislative directives or new technologies impacting security operations.
23. Completes special projects as assigned.
24. Performs other duties as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Adopts new approaches to incident reporting, improve officer morale, conduct risk and safety climate assessments, and enhance community relations.
2. Adopts the “near-miss” approach to reporting to identify potential security issues, such as unsecured doors, suspicious persons, water leaks, damaged furniture, etc.
3. Completes bi-annual walk-throughs and interviews with shift officers, and building administrators across the university to gauge the safety climate and/or potential risks.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
2. Advanced knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, budgeting, human resources, leadership technique, and/or coordination of people and resources.
3. Possess proven creative and strategic thinking skills.
4. Excellent communication skills at all levels of the organization, especially during emergencies and critical incidents.
5. Excellent written communication skills.
6. Knowledge of processes required to maintain accreditation and correlating standards of practice.
7. Ability to work in culturally diverse environment and work effectively with the broadest range of constituents on campus.
8. May be required to work nights or weekends.
Major (if required):
1. Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in increasingly responsible, high-level leadership positions within a police or public safety agency.
2. Extensive experience in emergency management, supervision, and promoting the professional development of all public safety officers and staff.
Master’s degree and/or public safety experience within a higher education environment
Is this a safety sensitive position (are applicants potentially subject to drug testing)?
Does this position require a criminal background screening?
To apply for this job please visit www.nsujobs.com.